Monday, November 9, 2015

Black+Decker 300 Amp Portable Jump Starter

They're on to you...them, those pesky people that own cars but don't know or want to know anything about them. Of course, they won't admit that and they'll do their darnedest to convince you otherwise but their level of understanding is paper thin. That's okay, except they aren't interested in increasing that knowledge either and your enthusiasm gives them IBS.

Still, if you have a truck then you're helping them move. And if you have jumper cables, then you're getting a call in the middle of night, fifty miles away. In the snow. Uphill. Both ways.

Photo: Home Depot
I got a call from a friend recently who has a refrigerator white 2007 Cadillac SRX. "My piece of junk old car broke down!" she cried. So, I bopped down there with my cables and got her on the move. My guess is that she probably needed a new battery (confirmed later). BTW, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the SRX. In fact, it's practically a new car and she's never had a moment bother from it, other than the battery. Cue eye roll here.

Afterwards, I found myself standing in Home Depot staring at the Black+Decker portable jump starters. They sure looked nice and it would be great not to have to worry about the cables. Still, fifty bucks for the cheapest one on the shelf...aw heck, you only live once and I could think of other things I could use it for, like when my lawn tractor battery kicks the bucket which seems like an annual occurrence.

Photo: Home Depot
So now I'm the owner of one of those fancy portable jump starters. It can even run stuff through the onboard USB port. Give me call if you need some help.

5 comments:

  1. How about a cation for that last photo:

    "Well, we checked the engine, like the light said to do. It's still there, alright. So now what?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking I wished I had one of these the other day when I had to drive to my son's place of work and jump his car after he left his lights on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've used mine a couple of times now. A worthwhile purchase, for me at least.

      Delete
    2. I can't remember the last time I had to dig out my jumper cables and do a remote jump start. The last couple have been in the driveway so I can haul out and plug in my crusty Schumacher charger/jumper.

      Delete

If you want to share a Youtube video, just copy and paste the URL in your comment.

Need to add an image of no more than 600 pixels wide? Use Imgur to edit and generate the BBcode you need or you can copy and paste this code [img]image-url-here[/img]