Friday, January 13, 2017

1977 Monteverdi Sierra Kombi

So you have a thing for international bastards like the Pantera, Chrysler TC by Maserati and others of their ilk. Well, for one year only, the tiny Swiss coachbuilder Monteverdi took Dodge Aspen/Plymouth Volares and turned them into the Sierra. Surprisingly, that also included the station wagon variant, dubbed the Kombi. The interior on these were as different from the original production models, as well.

I've never been able to track down a production number on the Kombi, so this could be nothing more than a concept. And yes, Chrysler did end up creating a LeBaron version, but it was nowhere as stylish as the Sierra. Here's the other weird thing; according to my records, the Kombi was a '77 model only. But the sign in the picture below says 1980, so who the heck knows.


4 comments:

  1. Here is a link with a few more photos, including a better view of the wagon. I do have to wonder why anyone would have choosen such an outdated platform for a project like this.

    http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5453447-The-Monteverdi-Sierra-I-had-no-idea

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure they were outdated. I thought the f-bodies were brand new at the time and I recall the replacement wasn't much of an update, if at all. Then came the k-cars, which everybody loves to wee on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I am wrong. I have always thought of the Aspen platform as a hold over from the late 60s, much like the various Ford platforms the ended (mercifully) with the Granada. It is interesting to think that the Fox platform and the K-Car platform were both in development at this time. Certainly different approaches, but both highly successful, at least commercially.

      Delete
    2. Knowing Chrysler's history, I think it's a safe bet that whatever they put out is based on old tech. But in this case, I believe Bolo is right, in that the F-body shouldn't be confused with the A-body platformed cars. Which is easily done, in my opinion.

      And you guys are right too, in that while the F- and K-cars and Fox platforms catch a lot of flak, they were hugely popular and probably deserve better. Once again, in my opinion, they're easy targets for less than imaginative gearheads.

      Delete

If you want to share a Youtube video, just copy and paste the URL in your comment.

Need to add an image of no more than 600 pixels wide? Use Imgur to edit and generate the BBcode you need or you can copy and paste this code [img]image-url-here[/img]