Wednesday, January 18, 2017

1952-1959 DeSoto Firedome Station Wagon

Some people have all the luck. As his first car, Bolo inherited a DeSoto Firedome station wagon. I remember thinking, "Now that's a heck of a first car." I loved riding in that car; it was simply marvelous.

The Firedome was initially the entry-level DeSoto, but it graduated upwards to mid-grade in later years. Known primarily for the sedan (6- and 8-passenger!), coupe and convertible variants, the wagon was nonetheless a fairly steady seller. I don't have the actual sales numbers, but I recall that it was somewhere around 2K sold a year, on average. BTW, "entry-level" was still pretty expensive for the time, at around $3K-$4K. For comparison, you could buy a '52 Ford Mainline Ranch Wagon for about $2K.

Here's another unfortunately painfully shot video that contains some really great info on the Firedome long roof.

4 comments:

  1. OHMYGOD!!!! Such memories! Loved loved loved that car. The Battle Wagon! Thnx, K2!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am surprised to see a split folding rear seat. I thought those were relatively recent idea in wagons. I like the way old wagons were finished in the cargo area, with the rails etc. Also, I love those exterior door handles. How do they work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't recall them being all that special to operate. Just grab and pull them open.

      Delete

If you want to share a Youtube video, just copy and paste the URL in your comment.

Need to add an image of no more than 600 pixels wide? Use Imgur to edit and generate the BBcode you need or you can copy and paste this code [img]image-url-here[/img]