Monday, November 21, 2016

Best Car I Ever Owned (so far)

The Shadowagon left plenty of skidmarks during it's life with me.
I bought this 1998 Volvo V70 T5 twelve years ago with no bright eyed dreams of a car that did anything but serve a functional purpose. It ended up being one of the best cars I've ever owned.

Never having the intention of keeping it past my usual couple of years, it was capable of simultaneously hauling 5 adults and 2 children, was great in the snow and very reasonable to maintain. Yet, it was still quite luxurious, with the world's most comfortable seats, and powerful enough to push 300 hp after extremely easy and relatively cheap upgrades.

It was all of that and more. But time was catching up to it and we'd reached a cross roads financially, which happens with all older cars. It needed a new power steering rack, exhaust, driver window switch (the back passenger on the driver's side window would roll down, but not back up), the headliner was starting to fall and a couple other tiny but annoying things.

And when the SO said, "Hey, maybe it's time for a new-used car?", it got under my skin and The Itch took over. And so, the super station wagon that became known as the Shadowagon, went up for sale. Because of my infamous exploits online, this car is well-known to a group of select car enthusiasts and it was sold so fast that it practically made my head spin. The new owner will replace those things and continue to enjoy it for years and years to come, I'm sure. Hopefully, I can keep track of it.

The longest I'd ever owned a car prior to this was six years. This car made it 12; it was that good. RIP, Shadowagon. May you live forever (and I don't see why not).

3 comments:

  1. All good cars go to heaven. May the Shadowagon roll long and proud.

    This got me thinking about "the best car I have ever owned", and even what my criteria would be: longest lived, least requirement for repair, most useful, most fun? This will require some serious thought...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best car I ever owned was a Lexus LS, which I ended up giving to my wife, who gave it to my daughter and then my son drove it through his high school years and my third son will inherit it when he starts driving. Heck of a car!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that car. Fabulous automobile. I've been searching for an IS300 Sportcross, but I haven't found a good one yet. I have the feeling I won't, either.

      Delete

If you want to share a Youtube video, just copy and paste the URL in your comment.

Need to add an image of no more than 600 pixels wide? Use Imgur to edit and generate the BBcode you need or you can copy and paste this code [img]image-url-here[/img]