Friday, April 15, 2016

2013 Thor Majestic: Drive Review, Part 3

Conclusions, contusions and collusions.

Bye for now, big fella. Photo: REVolution

We left in an unseasonable surprise blizzard; great, just great. The Thor was surprisingly steady. Once I learned to trust it a bit more, it was rock solid. Wind gusts were intense and we never really felt them on the road. Once we arrived in our RV campground, the winds picked up even more and my SO remarked, “I wasn’t aware that we would be sleeping in a boat.” It was bad but the motorhome stayed glued to the ground and nothing was torn off the roof. It was cold outside, in the 20s (F) but the little electric heater we ran inside kept us cozy and comfortable and we never fired up the propane-fueled motorhome heater, saving us additional rental costs. Once again, there are cheap alternatives to running a complex system like the one installed in the Thor and that’s the route I’d choose to go. Besides, we’d most likely not go anywhere in our motorhome in the dead of winter or at the absolute height of summer temperatures, so that’s not a concern of ours anyway.

So overall, the RV itself was a huge success. We were worried that the dogs would have trouble getting in and out but they figured it out eventually. I probably would build some sort of ramp. I did, out of an old closet door, but it needed some sort of carpet attached to it and the dogs figured out how to jump in (instead of just walking up the steps), so I didn’t bother. The Thor has steps that were inside the vehicle instead of the typical metal extending steps on some motorhomes. They were covered in non-slip rubber, which was really nice too. We’d much rather have this setup; no worries about forgetting to retract them and damaging them as you drove off.

Renting from Cruise America was interesting. It’s a nationwide franchise and probably does very well I’d imagine. We’d highly recommend it if you’re interested in a motorhome. The units were awesome, clean and in excellent condition. It is a rolling advertisement though and we got stopped often. People were amazed that you could rent such a nice motorhome and at the price we paid, which was under $100 a night. If you go to the Cruise America website, you can find special one-way deals that are incredible, down to just $20 a night. Thor is in the Chicago area and Cruise America needs to get the vehicles to locations around the country, so they give screaming good deals to do so. Fly in, drive to wherever they tell you, but take two weeks to do and go wherever you want. That would be a lot of fun. The lady that ran our local franchise was a real character; she talked a mile-a-minute and all about herself, as if she’d been kept in a cage and finally let out to converse with other human beings. She didn’t seem like the sort of person you’d want to get on her bad side, so we didn’t and it went smooth as silk. Judging from what she told us, people try to get away with outrageously stupid things when they return their rental motorhome. No surprise there; dealing with the public is a nightmare, no matter what business you’re in. Scary.

"Can we do it again real soon?"
So it was a great adventure and worth every penny. We would have spent as much or more staying in a hotel or renting a small house (if we could find one – we have in the past, but not lately). We learned a lot about what we liked and what we didn’t. For example, I don’t really want to drive a bigger motorhome. It also made me realize how exactly I’d build out our motorhome and  what did or didn’t work for us. If we could also use our motorhome to also advertise our business, that would be a huge bonus in multiple ways, which would be extremely doable with a vinyl wrap, lettering or something along those lines. Converting a Dodge (Mercedes) Sprinter definitely looks like a possible way to go. I’ve already laid out a rough floorplan that would be optimal for us, with maximum floor space for the dogs. It’s all about the dogs, really.

One thing that occurred to me was that I and my SO in the front passenger seat had airbags in front of us, ABS and a host of other safety features that just doesn’t exist on older motorhomes. That’s unacceptable. Motorhomes are not safe in the extreme, with what amounts to an eggshell on the back, but the front passengers are not in a much better place on vintage examples. Again, a Sprinter would be a much safer vehicle in every conceivable measurement. Score another point for that direction.

More research is necessary and we’re looking forward that journey!

“I'm a man of means by no means, King of the Road.” - Roger Miller

12 comments:

  1. Nice wrap up K2. Nothing like having a real-world experience to focus the mind when considering the near-limitless possibilities in your project.

    Yesterday, you asked me if I had any experience in this area. I would say only "kinda". Back in the 80s, I once turned an RV into a race transporter. We started with a 1970s model that is referred to as a "Mini-Winnie" (as in Winnebago). It was similar to this:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY10ls990rQ

    Anyway, our conversion involved gutting the original interior, repaneling it and then adding race-suitable storage cabinets, ramps for a Formula Ford, and some crude fold up surfaces which could become bed platforms once the car was out of there.

    I remember being shocked by the lack of structural integrity in the shell. We also had to deal with the endless roof leaks that plague old motorhomes. The suitability of the sleep-in idea deteriorated over time, as the race car "droppings" accumulated (oil drips, coolant overflows, fuel spills). As far as I know, that transporter was still in use many years later, so I guess you would have to call the conversion a success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know those well; much researched. At our budget range, we're looking at something like that, which doesn't make me terrifically happy. Since I have the ability to build one out instead of taking on a most likely grungy antique, I can't imagine too many folks choosing the second option if they were in our shoes. But we shall see! If the right one came rolling along, we'd consider it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though I'm not in the market for a motor home, it's fun to read about your experiences. Did they ever make them for people like you - who actually LIKE driving and is a hardcore enthusiast? You mention your budget limit several times but didn't define that. What is it? Are you looking in the $20,000+ or $50,000+ range? And when did they start to feature the safety equipment that you're looking for?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @WD40 (still love that username, BTW - hilarious!). Why yes, yes they did attempt to make motorhomes (and trailers) for enthusiasts. Especially for off-roading folks, but that's not what you're asking is it. You're talking about 'homes that have a lower center of gravity and a suspension that doesn't scrape the handles on a turn. There are several; the Vixen would be a great example.

    GM even gave it a try at one point, with the GMC motorhomes. They didn't last, but they're understandably collectables now and there's a rabid cult following.

    But in the end, none of them are/were truly sporty. Just a level of "better"; a bit more nimble and easier to drive.

    Our budget is in the $4K-$7K range. I can build out a custom motorhome that fits our needs for that amount. Finding a (very) used motorhome at that price is not impossible, but will take a very long time or we'd have to get very lucky.

    I assume that the advent of widespread airbag installations is when safety equipment became standard in the vehicles that these things are based on. When was that? Mid-90s, I guess? Plus ABS. I still contend that the VW-based 'homes are especially dangerous because of their lack of front-end collision capabilities. Especially the older models. One bop in the front and you're crushed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey K2, here is a slightly different slant on your quest:

    http://www.dailyturismo.com/2016/04/nook-cranny-1976-toyota-hilux-chinook.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the suggestion, B!

    Sorry for the outrageously blatant bragging, but I'm pretty sure I know more about Toyota-based motorhomes at this point than probably anybody ever wanted to. I even went so far as to interview owners and the guy that runs the biggest FB Toy 'home group on the internet. And of course, I used to work for Toyota when these things were on the road (that ended in the early 90s). So I even understand them mechanically (the associated motorhome appliance and construction manufacturers as well.

    Unfortunately, they just don't work for us for a variety of reasons that I won't bore you with. But if you want to know some stupidly obscure details or trivia about them, I'm your man! I've accumulated an enormous database of information on them. Sadly, nobody really seems all that interested in it, so it will sit on my computer rotting away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know me...OCD + research = HAPPY!

    ReplyDelete
  8. PS There are several inaccurate statements in that DT article. This is the sort of article that I feel I could have helped make a little better, but V never saw the value in what I could bring to the table, always holding me out at arm's length as if he thought I would explode and shrapnel would go everywhere.

    Mr. Liss is not a very thorough, thoughtful, inspired, creative, or interesting writer. I'm sure he's a super guy but his articles are not compelling to me and when I check in occasionally, I just skip them. Hopefully, his skills and creativity will improve over time.

    Sadly, I think that style of writing fits right in with DT, whereas I'm sure I would have continued to drive everyone crazy trying to look behind the curtain all the time. Maybe V was right, but then again traffic is WAY down on that site since I essentially vanished.

    I'm not happy with how things went down and I wish it had been different. I'd much rather be a productive contributor on that site and enjoy the significantly more trafficked comments than here on REVolution, which is pretty much ignored except by a very select few (thank you very much, folks!).

    I can't help but chortle at the stats on the bottom of the Longer List of Comments page. There's no doubt that someday my collective numbers will be surpassed, but for now it's somehow karmic payback. Distant though it may be...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun writeup about your RV adventure. I didn't know anything about the Toyota RVs until you started talking about them on TECB. Your coffee table book about the history of these idea was really cool. I wish you'd reconsider and do it but I get why you don't think it's worth your time. DT sucks eggs. Who cares about those BaT wannabes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah it's a bit of a bummer. The tough part would be all of the artwork. But that's just what I'd need; another book that nobody will buy.

    ReplyDelete

If you want to share a Youtube video, just copy and paste the URL in your comment.

Need to add an image of no more than 600 pixels wide? Use Imgur to edit and generate the BBcode you need or you can copy and paste this code [img]image-url-here[/img]