Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Citroen C5 Tourer

Squirrel!

K2, you moron. Buy some Ginkgo Biloba or something.




From Nessa, “K2, I’m enjoying all of the wagon shenanigans here on the REVolution, but what about the other half of Peugeot?”

Well, I just plum forgot. She’s right as usual; there’s the Citroen part of the equation. And with the possibility (threat?) of P-C’s triumphant (are you sure?) return (don't hold your breath), it’s worth taking a look at the potential wagons that they could bring to our shores.

Determining which current Citroen models are classified as station wagons and cross-referencing them with what I think are station wagons is a losing game. So, to ease things along, I’ve chosen models that are classified as such, or as an estate, by Wikipedia. I’ll leave it to you to argue that one out. Personally, it looks to me that Citroen has several more in their lineup and they’re just as guilt as anybody else these days with their ridiculous labels. I mean, “5-door hatchback coupe”…come ON.

Whatever; the first spotlight is on the Citroen C5 Tourer, a nicely if conservatively designed station wagon based on the second generation (2008+) C5 sedan’s PSA PFA platform, shared with the Peugeot 508. So we’ve been here before. Some sources describe the Tourer as Germanic in look and I can’t really disagree with that; it does look a bit like a VW wagon. Maybe there’s a little Subaru Legacy thrown in. Domagoj Djukec is credited with the C5 II design; he’s now Head of BMW Exterior Design.


Assembled in France and China, the C5 wagon doesn’t appear to be for sale in England. When I went to the UK website, it wasn’t listed for sale. So, I’m not entirely sure it’s currently sold anywhere other than the countries of assembly. That’s not unlikely.


On the French site, engines range from a 2-liter diesel to a…2-liter diesel. In other markets the sedan features motor options ranging from a 120 bhp 1.6 petrol 4-banger up to a 240 bhp 3.0 diesel V6. That snail motor (no escargot jokes!) will do the 0-62 dash in 12.2 seconds; the sixer does it in around seven and a half. Interestingly, there’s an optional 2.7 diesel V6, that’s manufactured by Ford of Europe. There were two suspensions available; a conventional one and a hydropneumatic. Transmissions include a 5- and 6-speed manual and a 6-speed automatic. Length is less than 16 feet long.


Prognosis: Assuming the return of P-C to the States, it’s certainly possible that a future generation of the 508/C5 could appear here. It features good size, specs and the CrossTourer variant is a sales certainly; cha-ching!


Thanks for the reminder, Nessa.

3 comments:

  1. I like this better than the 508! But I don't know why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the Oscar for "Most irritating camera work" goes to whoever did this C5 video. I was getting motion sickness from all the zooming. It also wins a special mention for poor story-boarding, since it neglects to open the tailgate. Some would think that is a rather important aspect of a video review of a WAGON!

    I am intrigued by K2's mention of a hydropneumatic suspension option on these C5s. I thought that had died out with the previous generation. I must dig....

    ReplyDelete
  3. JN - If you figure it out, tell me.

    Bobinott - Let me know what you discover!

    ReplyDelete

If you want to share a Youtube video, just copy and paste the URL in your comment.

Need to add an image of no more than 600 pixels wide? Use Imgur to edit and generate the BBcode you need or you can copy and paste this code [img]image-url-here[/img]