Thursday, June 9, 2016

2011+ Citroen DS5

What is French without funk?

"Executive 5-door hatchback"...oh, come on.


When I think of French cars, I think of funky fresh design that’s often more about form than function. That’s most certainly arguable, but it’s definitely not a negative in my eyes.

Let’s take a look at one last Citroen station wagon, the DS 5. One look at that body and I’m thinking, “Now we’re cooking with gas!” The other two Citroen wagons we’ve looked at are a little too me too. Not the DS 5; only around since 2011, there’s a far better realization of the z-slashed beltline that is so very unattractive on the otherwise superb current generation Honda Odyssey. Here, it’s much more subtle and adds a sporty vibe. Check out that chrome spear that zings up the side of the hood and swooshes up the A pillar, ending at the roof; pure frivolity that adds a lot of fun. This thing looks like a space pod that’s ready to make a run for a stellar croissant.


Engines include petrol, diesel and hybrid options. My pick for the States would be the AWD 200 hp hybrid with 72.4 mpg. Yep, I’d skip both the gassy and Jurassic juice motors; they’re just not big enough or powerful for steak-loving ‘Muricans. Doesn’t matter how good they are, they’ll be perceived as underpowered here in a vehicle that starts around $38K+ US. Not going to happen.

At around 14 feet long, the DS 5 is similar in length to the Audi A3 Sportback e-tron hatchback. That’s the sort of car that would get cross-shopped here and most likely everywhere else, too. That vehicle base stickers for $43K+ US and features a 1.4-liter 4-cylinder turbo hybrid with a combined 204-hp and 42/48/95 mpg(e).

Stunning "Pure Pearl Edition" interior.
Prognosis: A bit of weird (admittedly, probably not enough) and a more premium product would seemingly point to the DS 5 being a sales winner here in the States. But is it “crossover” enough? I think maybe it’s…not. P-C would need to Outback it up a bit, so to speak, to make it a sure-fire. Or it needs to get really ugly, like a BMW i3.

Technically, the DS is an upmarket luxury brand unto itself, like Lexus, Infiniti, etc. There are several interesting special editions like the Pure Pearl pictured above. Check out the horrific liftover in the boot.


There are other wagons from Citroen, but I think I'll just leave it here. Time to move on.

6 comments:

  1. Where is that Bobinott guy on all they French cars? Aren't they his thing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know. He's probably off on some great adventure up in the Great White North.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi gang. Yes, I see that it is French Car Week on REVolution. It is killing me that I have been dragged away by domestic obligations. Mrs Bobinott is away in the Old Country (which happens to be France, quelle coinidence!) and I was left with a list of renovations and improvements. Hardly a great adventure! I hope to catch up with snarky and pithy comments over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate that the snark is kept to a minimum on this blog. It seems like a crutch on other blogs, something to say when there's nothing to constructively add to the conversation. I'm not saying that everything that's written needs to be well thought out and insightful but sometimes the snarky comments get a little tiresome. A person that did that in the real world would be ostracized.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I guess I have lost touch with the "mother house", as I was not aware that they had broken out a new premium line. It pains me to hear the complaints about ride and handling, as of course that was what made the DS (I mean the original DS, or the "Real DS") so special. Citroen abandoned the hyrdo-pneumatic suspension after the last C6 model, and that was a sad day. It was what set Citroen apart from other makes. This new DS5 seems to make an effort to be odd just to be different, not odd to be better (see original DS).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear you Nessa; it can be a crutch and a lack of effort at constructive communication.

    ReplyDelete

If you want to share a Youtube video, just copy and paste the URL in your comment.

Need to add an image of no more than 600 pixels wide? Use Imgur to edit and generate the BBcode you need or you can copy and paste this code [img]image-url-here[/img]