Monday, January 25, 2016

1995 and older Mitsubishi Galant

Contessa Nessa writes;

Occasionally, I see a Mitsubishi Galant driving around. Usually, it's not in very good shape and looks like it's being driven until it can't be driven anymore, then discarded. While these were always on the cheaper end of the family sedan scale, I can't help but note that it's been a long time since I've seen a model year 1995 or older being driven on the street. The eighth generation in particular were pretty decent little cars and a step above many of the comparable vehicles.

Other than the rally racer fave VR-4 models, where did they all go? I can't even recall the last time I saw a X56 GSX...


Thanks for reminding us of this snappy little sedan, Nessa! We loved the 8th gen when they came out and when we sniffed around online to see if we could find one that was a 1995 or older, we could only find a select few, none of which were in very good condition. One was a 1989 for sale at a public auction and the other was a 1991 GS with a 4G63T swap. It seems that you've found yet another unicorn in the United States, with plenty sold but very few still existing and operational.

5 comments:

  1. Mitsubishi had only very scattered product offerings up here in Canada. Chrysler offered their rebadged versions, but actual Mitsubishis were fairly rare until around 2000. As I remember it, Galants and Lancers were fictitious creatures to us in the 1990s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked on Autotrader.ca and found exactly none older than 2001. Would've thought there would have been a few. Weird. Good eye, Nessa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa, I found one. 1992 Eagle 2000 GTX for $750. I bet they don't know they have a unicorn.

    http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1992-mitsubishi-eagle-2000-gtx/1132081345?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

    ReplyDelete
  4. True. I guess the text from that ad itself kind of explains the schizophrenic nature of the beast:

    "1992 Mitsubishi Eagle 2000 GTX (Dodge, known also as Mitsubishi Galant)"

    Given my distaste for Mopar products, I guess the idea of a Japanese car supported by their network just didn't register for me.

    ReplyDelete

If you want to share a Youtube video, just copy and paste the URL in your comment.

Need to add an image of no more than 600 pixels wide? Use Imgur to edit and generate the BBcode you need or you can copy and paste this code [img]image-url-here[/img]