Tuesday, December 27, 2016

2016 Ford Edge SEL Wagon, er, Crossover

An acquaintance of mine recently needed a new car. He was driving along on the freeway in his second-gen Volvo S40 and hit a muffler. There was significant damage to the transmission and his insurance company totaled it. Ironically, the rental car company gave him a Ford Focus to drive, which shared the P1-C1 platform with his S40. But he needed a new car, pronto.

This was one of those cases where the shopper wasn't going to tolerate a lot of, um, shopping. So when he asked for my help, I knew it wasn't time for several options; the less, the better. I gave him half a dozen options that I thought fit his needs, specs and $25K-$35K budget. I also talked him out of a Jeep Cherokee or Jeep Grand Cherokee, of which he wasn't sure which was which(!). Of those, he narrowed his focus on the Honda CR-V and Ford Edge, randomly ignoring the rest, including the Equinox/Terrain (etc.), RAV4, Santa Fe Sport and CX-5.

He really liked the Honda, but the Edge was perceptibly more car. The one he bought was at the very top of his budget and he didn't really negotiate a cheaper price. But that's okay because he got a very nice station wagon, er, crossover. This is the very same person who had previously declared to me that station wagons were kryptonite to the opposite sex, which is one of the more ridiculous things I've ever heard.

But he got a station wagon. He wanted more room and what's more utilitarian than a wagon, minivans aside? Nothing! The Edge rides on the same CD4 platform as the superb Fusion, underappreciated Taurus, "anything but a minivan!" Flex, most Lincolns and the hasn't-been-a-SUV-since-2006 Explorer.

Lexus called and they want their crossover back.
This is a very nice vehicle, if not particularly exciting to drive. The variant he got is the AWD mid-line option, featuring a soon to be phased out 3.5 V6. That engine will most likely go away soon, leaving just the superb twin-turbo V6 and mildly stupid but okay for the proletariat, turbo 2.0 4-banger. Edmunds and KBB don't even list the 3.5 as an option; I had to actually go to Ford's site to look at the specs. The interior is not particularly spacious, but the advantage is that the Edge is 10 inches shorter than the Explorer. He doesn't need a third row seat, so that's a good thing. The bumper height/lift-over is a ridiculous 28 inches, which explains precisely why we didn't even consider one in our recent shopping spree. The steering wheel is amazingly tiny, probably to ease entry. He thought the paddle shifters controlled the cruise control; he's learning!

That touchscreen actually works just fine, despite car "expert" reports.
There are literally hundreds of dealer-installed options for the Edge. Here are two of my favorites; an armrest safe and a tent that illicits the ghost of the Pontiac Aztek.

Driving this vehicle makes it crystal clear exactly what it is, a jacked-up Fusion station wagon. Nothing more and nothing less. That's a good thing. Mazel tov!

8 comments:

  1. You have the patience of Job. I don't know why you don't just stop trying. You must be into S&M. You were successful this time around. Don't get used to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hehe. S&M...not so much. But I get your drift.

      Delete
  2. I had never thought of the Edge as a Fusion wagon. I will have to take a closer look. I have a feeling the new owner will be lucky to have the normally-aspirated V6 long term. Reliability and upkeep are almost certain to be better than either of the turbo twins. Plus real world fuel economy likely will be very similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good points! Reliability aside, here are the specs:

      Turbo 2.0 I4 AWD SEL; 20/27 mpg on Premium, 245/275 hp/t
      Twin-turbo 2.7 V6; 17/24 mpg on Regular?!?, 315/350
      3.5 V6; 17/24 mpg on Regular, 280/250

      I think we can see why the 3.5 is headed to the big dumpster in the sky. There's not much benefit to keeping that engine in this car as an option, especially if it isn't being used in its platform-mates.

      In my quick search on Ford.com I didn't see specific weights, but they list the AWD at just over two tons. Also, I looked quickly around the web and didn't see a lot of problems with the 2.7 twin-turbo. I drove one in the Flex and it was pretty darn marvelous. Actually, it was the only thing my wife liked about that car. Have you heard otherwise?

      Delete
  3. Ageed. The Escape is the Focus wagon, the Edge is the Fusion and the Flex and Explorer are the Taurus. They need a Fiesta crossover and they need a full-sized sedan to build the Expedition off of. Nobody needs a real SUV anymore. Probably never did.

    The po-po around here all drive Explorers.

    K2 you have to tell everybody else what this guy told you after he bought his Edge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to embarrass the guy; it's possible he might read this (probably not). So with that in mind, I hope I don't insult him. But these were his exact words.

      After he bought the Edge he told me, "I didn't want to leave the dealership feeling like I got a good deal."

      I'm not making that up. What I think he really meant was that he wanted what he wanted and didn't want to feel like he'd just settled for any old thing.

      Unfortunately, I think the saleshark saw him coming. Fortunately, he got a good car that will last him a long time (knock wood).

      Delete

If you want to share a Youtube video, just copy and paste the URL in your comment.

Need to add an image of no more than 600 pixels wide? Use Imgur to edit and generate the BBcode you need or you can copy and paste this code [img]image-url-here[/img]