Sunday, December 4, 2016

1960s+ Mercedes Wagons

Taking a look at the coachbuilt history of Cadillac station wagons the other day was a lot of fun; what happened with Mercedes is an interesting comparison. Germany, an obviously far smaller country than the US, couldn't have had all that many more funeral homes and hospitals, but Mercedes decided that they'd take the wagon business away from the coachbuilders in the late 60s and service those and related consumer markets. Termed the "Universal", you could initially buy a factory-built estate based on the 190, 190D, 200, 200D, 220, and 230S. Here's an excellent web page that does a great job of explaining the history.

3 comments:

  1. Very nice post. These MB wagons are rarely seen over here, but were well respected in Europe. When I went to the page you linked, I found a fabulous photo of this MB ambulance:

    [img]http://www.slmarket.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Vintage-Mercedes-Wagon-Hearse-4.jpg[/img]

    I have that exact model as a 1/43 Matchbox "King Size". It has been in my collection since I was a kid (back when these MBs were new!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife's M-B wagon is impressive and I've always liked driving it. I always thought their wagon history went back to the 50s. Thanks K2 for the education!

    ReplyDelete

If you want to share a Youtube video, just copy and paste the URL in your comment.

Need to add an image of no more than 600 pixels wide? Use Imgur to edit and generate the BBcode you need or you can copy and paste this code [img]image-url-here[/img]