Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Interview: Sandra Bullock's 2005 Scion xB*

*Obviously, not the Sandra Bullock. The names have been changed to protect the not-so-innocent.

"Get ready for rush hour!" Or not, your choice.



This car is ready to have fun!
Before we begin our interview with SB, she was nice enough to let me take her car for a quick spin down the block. Here are a couple of quick impressions; for a city car, this is great fun. Due to the suspension and handling dynamics, small tires, expansive greenhouse and lightweight, it really is a fun little runabout to pilot in an urban environment. I'm never a fan of relocating the gauges anywhere other than where you'd expect them to be, but with the oddball placement in the Scion instead of looking straight down, you do so at a forty-five degree. It wasn't uncomfortable and took maybe two seconds to get used to. One final note that I'll leave you with to ponder; this had an under $14K MSRP in 2005 and it's still worth $4.7K KBB private party. That's simply amazing in this world of cliff-diving values that plummet the moment you drive off the lot. At a loss of about $9K over a 11 year timespan, it's interesting to consider that in comparison to a comparable (though far more powerful and 700 pounds heavier!) Chrysler PT Cruiser, which lost $11.3 in the same time period.

How low can you go?
One last note before we get started; the bumper height is an incredibly low 20 inches off the ground. You'd have to get a lowrider to beat that, I think.

That's right; hubcaps.
K2: How long have you had your 2005 Scion xB?

SB: 5-6 years. I bought it from Carmax in 2010 with twenty-eight thousand miles on it. Second owner.

Automatic? We don't need no steenkin' automatics!
K2: Why did you choose the 5-speed manual over the automatic? And where did the preference come from?

SB: I've always had a stick shift in my cars. I'd never consider anything else. When I was 15 years old, I learned to drive in truck with a 3-on-the-tree. So that's what I'm comfortable with. I like the simplicity and the control it gives me as a driver.

K2: What cars have you had before?

SB: In no particular order; a Nissan Sentra, Toyota Corona and a Mazda Protégé sedan, which I bought new in 2001. The xB was a replacement for that car. I've also had two pickup trucks, both of which had automatics. So, I guess not every vehicle I've owned had stick shifts.

The puppers are very comfy back here. But unlike Waldo, they aren't in this picture.
K2: What do you like most about your xB?

SB: I like sitting up tall, not staring at the bumper of the gigantic SUV in front of me. The xB is extremely easy to drive; zippy, simple to park, the view out is great and it doesn't take up much room. The cargo space is great, too. That's a necessity because I have a few dogs. I can only get three of my dogs inside at a time, but that's okay. I'd rather have a more efficient vehicle. I laid down the back seat and had a platform made for them, which I covered with pillows and blankets. Works great!

Surprisingly, power windows and locks. Cool.
K2: What's the worst thing about your car?

SB: There aren't enough cubbies and storage spaces. I think it would have been easy to build them in. I know I would have appreciated it. For example, I know the bB (JDM first generation xB) had a drawer under the front passenger seat and I would have liked that.

K2: You currently have another vehicle that you use for commuting. Tell us about it.

SB: I commute on my bicycle. I love the exercise, fresh air and saving the cost of downtown parking, which is extremely expensive around here. I don't love the traffic and the drivers who nearly kill me because they're on their smartphones (not very smart). But otherwise, I love it.

K2: Winter tires? You're in the extreme NorthEast, so what do you do?

SB: I only had all-seasons on the xB for the first 5 years and, frankly, that wasn't an ideal situation. I need to get safely through not only occasionally pretty deep snow, but also ice. I have a pretty steep driveway and the township doesn't always do a great job of plowing. So now I have another set of tires with snows on them. They work great and I feel much more confident.

Focus, dangit, Focus! There just happened to be a Ford Focus driving by.
K2: What do you think of the center gauge placement?

SB: I don't. I'm so used to it that I don't even think about it. But I do like how simple they are, with just the right amount of information; nothing more, nothing less.

K2: What do you think of the second generation xB?

SB: I really like this years' model of xB, before the change to the smaller windows. The second generation is too big and hard to see out of. Plus, it's heavier and less spritely, with 600 more pounds to lug around.

K2: What would you improve on your xB?

SB: It's noisy, especially on the freeway. But then, it's an economy car. So I don't really expect it to drive like a Lexus.

Everything you need. Nothing more, nothing less.
K2: Where do you service it or do you work on it yourself?

SB: I don't have the time, tools or knowledge to do that stuff, so I take it to an independent shop that I've been going to for many years. They're located conveniently and they've always done a good job at a reasonable price.

K2: What if your car wasn't a manual?

SB: That would be a crime against humanity. I understand that more and more cars are losing the option and that makes me sad. When I need to replace the xB, I'm hoping there will be some left. Otherwise, I'm buying an even older car.

Snappy, huh? A little heel-toe action never hurt anybody.
K2: Why do you hate ABS?

SB: It feels like a loss of control to me. When I step on the pedal, it doesn't feel right. I hate it. That worries me about my next car, too. Hopefully, it will be defeatable if it has it.

That mileage is for real.
K2: With only 34K miles in 11ish years, you ride your bike more than drive your car. Especially in the past couple of years. Could you live without a car?

SB: No, definitely not. I need a car for the dogs. It's a safety issue. If I could walk everywhere and I didn't have the dogs' safety as a concern, maybe. I still very much like having a car. I don't think I'd ultimately be happy without one.

K2: What's your take on automated cars?

SB: I hate the very idea of them! I think they're a bad idea, no matter how you look at it.

Power mirrors? And traction control? Very nice...
K2: What's your dream car?

SB: A Ford F-250 Extended Cab, Honda Element or Subaru Outback.

The xB's 108 hp, 105 torques 1.5 liter.
K2: How about a hybrid or an electric? Would you consider one of those?

SB: I drove a Prius the other day and distinctly didn't like it. It felt like there was too much stuff to pay attention to, taking focus away from what I'm supposed to be doing in a car: driving!

K2: Thank you for your time and keep me updated on your xB adventures!

SB: Sure, thanks for your interest, this was fun! The BOH (Box O' Hounds) is a great little car.

Smile! You're (sort of) famous on the internet now, xB!

9 comments:

  1. Another great interview. It's interesting to note how successful manufacturers have been reworking and selling the station wagon formula.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Light, small on the outside, big on the inside vehicle...with a manual. Efficient. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, JJ! Agreed, all 'round. It was a lot of fun to drive, truthfully. For a simple little around-about car, it was pretty darn perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandra here. No, not that one, haha, although it has been said that we could pass for sisters. This was such fun, glad you enjoyed the BOH. On reflection about it and my previous car (Protégé), I do wish that the BOH was heavier, like the Protégé was. With snow tires that was a terrific ride in the snow. Despite the rave on-line reviews about the BOH being awesome and able to handle any snowfall, even with top-of-the-line snows it just didn't give me the confidence I had with the Protégé. It's not bad, but it could be better, which I think more weight would provide. And, I'm really a fan of this years' model with the all-around bigger windows - much more visibility - which is great no matter what the ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, SB! You bring up some interesting specs.

      The Protege5 has a weight distribution of 60/40. I'm not sure what it is on the xB (none of my sources list it), it's probable that it's not as favorable in slippery conditions. Toyota actually built in some pretty snappy techie doodads to compensate for such conditions, so they must have known that this could be an issue.

      Curb weight is about 300 pounds apart.

      There's also the issue of where the engine's weight is over the front wheels.

      What kind of snow tires are you using? Blizzaks?

      Delete
  5. Snows bought 11/2015 are Michelin X Ice. I'm not sure why Blizzak sounds familiar, that may have been what the Michelin's replaced, but I cannot remember this moment. Some vehicle along the way wore Blizzaks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Until recently, I've had Bridgestone Blizzaks on the Shadowagon. When it came time to replace them last winter, I went with the Michelin X Ice Xi3 tires and they're stupendous. The Blizzaks are always a safe bet and always rated highly, but I wanted to try something different. The Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2s were too pricey, which was my first choice. When I went to research the Michelins, I was hesitant because I'd heard several bad things about the X Ice Xi2 version. But the 3s are a completely different animal. Unstoppable. Of course, the Shadowagon was born in the land of snow. So that helps.

    Do you know if you have Xi2s or Xi3s?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always thought it was both clever and stupid for Toyota to name its brand-within-a-brand Scion. The meaning works fantastically but normal people don't use that word much anymore and they don't know how to pronounce it; I've heard SKY-on and SIGH-on. Porsche, Hyundai and Merkur are other automobile brands that confuse many Americans. That could be a good list for you K2; brands with goofy names!

    ReplyDelete

If you want to share a Youtube video, just copy and paste the URL in your comment.

Need to add an image of no more than 600 pixels wide? Use Imgur to edit and generate the BBcode you need or you can copy and paste this code [img]image-url-here[/img]