Thursday, December 17, 2015

Chris H’s 1986 Toyota Winnebago Motorhome

Welcome to another interview featuring real owners driving real cars. This time we're featuring a motorhome; we hope you enjoy it!

Photos: Chris H.
REVolution: How long have you had your motorhome and what do you think might be a good way to upgrade it?

Chris: I've had my motorhome for 1 year and don't get to use it as much as I want, that’s for sure! Changing the gearing helps to hold the Overdrive. It really likes to downshift way too much. Toyota had no idea that the dually rear end would have that much weight all the time…and the wind resistance!

REVolution: What’s your daily driver?

Chris: A 2000 Toyota 4Runner Limited; it feels like a race car after driving the camper.


REVolution: Is this your first motorhome? Did your family have one when you were growing up?

Chris: Yes, this is my first motorhome. My Dad had a couple of travel trailers but they stayed in a permanent spot on the river. I did some tent camping growing up as well.

REVolution: What made you decide to buy your motorhome?

Chris: The compact size and gas mileage. Also, it seems like they’re going up in value. I also like Toyotas and I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on my first one.


REVolution: Did you spend a long time researching which one you wanted and how long did it take you to find yours?

Chris: I did a lot of research and I knew what I wanted. I had a budget of less than $5K, so that limits everything. In that price range you are limited.

REVolution: Where did you find yours; locally or did you have to travel?

Chris: Locally but I wouldn't be afraid to travel a little for the right one. You know as well as I do that you find cleaner rides out West!


REVolution: Have you gotten much opportunity to use it with your family?

Chris: We were out about 4 times last year. It’s like anything else; you think you’re going to use it all the time and then reality sets in. We plan on going to Frontier Town in Ocean City, MD next summer. My kid is only 18 months old so it was a little harder at times but he does fairly well!

REVolution: That's awesome! Your motorhome has the dinette in the middle and the bathroom in the back. What do you think of that layout?

Chris: It’s not bad. There’s a swivel chair on the left as soon as you walk in the door. My kid slept in a pack and play but we’ll have to move him to dinette soon. It isn't the most ideal layout; I can honestly see us getting into something a little bigger when he gets older, if we’re still into it!  I like the Winnebago with the Mercedes-Benz diesel but they’re pricey.


REVolution: Horsepower and handling aside, what would you improve on your motorhome, what's your favorite feature that you weren't expecting and what's the next thing to upgrade on yours?

Chris: My favorite feature is being able to throw the family in it, go get gas and go wherever I want to go! I plan on pulling out the carpet and putting down new flooring. I’m also thinking about pulling out the fridge too.

REVolution: Why would you pull the fridge; to replace it or just turn that area into storage? Speaking of horsepower, did you see Seth C’s video showing his WOT V6-powered 5-60 mph dash in roughly 40 second? How did you feel about that and do you think you could take him in a drag race?

Chris: Yeah, storage or a hammock or something. Hahaha, I’m not sure but I would empty out the camper to make sure I have the upper hand in that race with my 4-cylinder.

REVolution: Nitrous!?! And it will be appearing in the next "Fast and Furious". Or maybe it will be titled “Snail Slow and Comfortable”. Do you have a manual transmission or an automatic? Your motorhome is labeled a Toyota Winnebago, right? Or is it named something else? Is there a place anywhere on the vehicle that shows that it was made my Winnebago?

Chris: It’s stamped with Winnebago all over it.

REVolution: That's interesting. Winnebago doesn't list a Toyota-based motorhome until 1987. Could it be that the manufacturing tag says 1986 but it was sold as an 1987?

Chris: The truck is a 1986 but as far as Winnebago goes it is a 1987, titled as a 1986.

REVolution: Interesting! What do you do for a living?

Chris: I’m a sound and video engineer.

REVolution: Cool! Have you installed an amazing system in your Toyota motorhome yet and most importantly, does it have a fog machine?

Chris: No, I haven't. I actually like to keep it simple and unplug when I’m not at work!

REVolution: Ha! I should have known. Are there any final comments you’d like to add about your motorhome?

Chris: The reasons that anyone wants one of these machines are because of the compact size and they’re cheap to operate. If a person is considering buying one and finds the right one for them and their family, act fast and have the money available. They’re pretty cool and get a lot of smiles per gallon!


REVolution: Thank you very much for your time sharing your Toyota motorhome experience.

Chris: Have a good one, man!

2 comments:

  1. It's nice to see you conversing online with a group of people that treat you better. That other crew...phew. Other than a blessed few, most of them were really some unpleasant folk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Bolo. It is nice not being trodden on continually.

    ReplyDelete

If you want to share a Youtube video, just copy and paste the URL in your comment.

Need to add an image of no more than 600 pixels wide? Use Imgur to edit and generate the BBcode you need or you can copy and paste this code [img]image-url-here[/img]