Thursday, February 2, 2017

Never Was: Citroen 2CV Shooting Brake - Bobinott's Take

If Bobinott were a pinata and you hit him with a stick, all sorts of Citroen candy would fall out*. I brought up a pair of '65 Citroen 2CV wagon conversions yesterday and this is what he had to add. Awesome!

Here's an article about the conversion. I (K2) note that the words imply that this is a one-off, but I said it was part of a pair. I have no proof other than what I've read.

There will be no "thumb a ride" jokes here.
B writes, "That German name translates roughly to Gangster Duck Wagon. The 2CV is affectionately called "The Duck" in many countries," and noted the vanity plate.

B added, "Although the car K2 has shared is a custom, there were wagon-bodied 2CVs in some markets. For example, 2CVs were built under license in Iran, and they produced a really attractive wagon (well, to my eyes anyway) with three rows of seats! There is photo here (below): Personally, I like that Iranian design because it retains the enclosed rear fenders. I find anytime you open up the rear fenders on a 2CV, people immediately confuse them with VW beetles."

That's just plain awesome.
He added one last comment (hopefully, there will be more), "Oh, and just one more thing. The hood and grill treatment on the car K2 posted was an accessory kit for the 2CV. The kit was popular in France in the 1980. It mimics the famous Citroen Traction Avant cars that were produced from 1934 to the mid-50s. Those cars were popular with French criminals, so I guess that is where the "Gangster" portion of the custom's name came from."

And before you yell at the messenger, know that I've tried time and time again to get Bobinott to write an article (short, or otherwise) for the REV. The man is busy, I tell ya!

*Don't hit Bobinott with a stick, for any reason.

1 comment:

If you want to share a Youtube video, just copy and paste the URL in your comment.

Need to add an image of no more than 600 pixels wide? Use Imgur to edit and generate the BBcode you need or you can copy and paste this code [img]image-url-here[/img]