Thursday, May 12, 2016

Autonomous Muerte

The sky is falling.

I'm about to. Hold your horses and just read what I wrote below.

I, like most of you, am reading just about everything I come across regarding the development of autonomous cars. One of the positive outcomes that keeps being trotted out is the fact that there are over 1.2 million automotive-related deaths every year, worldwide.

That number is shocking but expected and it's no stretch to think of how autonomous cars could greatly lower it. Human error is just too rampant and uncontrolled, unfortunately. Robots can fix that, especially if they control it all (L4).

But I got to thinking; if there are 1.2 billion more people on the planet...and if we've already overpopulated the planet...this could be bad. Death by car is sort of mechanical population control that we've built for and inflicted upon ourselves. There are currently 7.4 billion people and adding that many back into the mix...

So the robots won't be the death of us, we will. What a surprise.

5 comments:

  1. I find that claim of 1.2 Billion auto-related deaths hard to imagine. That would mean that 1 in 7 people on the planet die due to a car, each and every year. A quick google search tells me that there are only about 131 million births each year. If that original stat was correct, then the human race would be eliminated in just over 7 years. Arguably a good thing for the planet. Is it possible that the correct statistic is 1.2 Million, rather than Billion?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! That's a heck of a typo, wasn't it? Fixed it. Thanks, Bobinott! At least somebody had their coffee this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blogger doesn't seem to want me to post an image today. So just use your imagination and recall the Dammit, Janet! quote from Rocky Horror.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, not another Rocky Horror fan too! You and I really need to sit down over a fermented beverage some day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A sobering thought if there ever was one. Reminds me of that show you turned me on to, Utopia. That was an amazing television series and I'm glad I watched it, though I'll never look at another spoon in the same way again.

    ReplyDelete

If you want to share a Youtube video, just copy and paste the URL in your comment.

Need to add an image of no more than 600 pixels wide? Use Imgur to edit and generate the BBcode you need or you can copy and paste this code [img]image-url-here[/img]