Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Subaru STi Used Engine Values


In a discussion on June 16, 2015 regarding the current values for a used Subaru EJ207 turbocharged engine, I wrote...

Looking on eekBay, I see that used turbo motors are going for $3,200+. Is that what you guys consider not too expensive? Can I borrow some money?

The response back was...

"K2 -- compare the price of a used STi engine to most anything else that is turbocharged/intercooled and pushing 300 hp and it isn't bad at all. It isn't as a cheap as a junkyard Ford 5.0, but it is 1/8th the cost of a Porsche flat-6 and probably 1/2 the cost of a BMW N54. For what you get, prices aren't bad."

To which I added...

I suppose that's true. But a 300-hp Volvo R turbo motor can be had used for around $2,000. A 300-hp VG30DETT can be had for under $1,500. I don't get why the 'Baru turbo engine is so much more money. Because it's a boxer? Or is it because they can and these engines blow up far too often, especially when you consider Subaru's reputation for building long-lasting cars? There's a disparity going on here.

And then I added...

I've done plum gotten myself uninvited to Sunday dinner but I should have also added the 2JZ-GTE, which can be picked up for around $2K. Pouring salt into the wound, I'd also point out that all three of the engines that I mentioned have even more cylinders than the Subaru. It wouldn't even surprise me that I could pick up an M44 for less than the Subaru, though I can't be sure. I haven't kept track of those for a long time and I'm too lazy to look it up.

There was no reply or further discussion, after that. What's sad here is the utter refusal to be open to another point of view. By being closed to new information or, in this case, an update to current data, there's no possibility of furthering  or increasing knowledge. Isn't that the behavior of a person that's comfortable in the bubble that they've created, trapped by ego? How can a person like that truly consider themselves to be a car enthusiast? Maybe they were once but now they've stopped all growth.

I've got to make a mental note not to do that myself.

4 comments:

  1. You act surprised that people aren't open to other points of view or information that challenges their preconceived notions placed there by Subaru Marketers. These are the same people that vote party line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a pretty good actor, don't you agree? I can't mime though, for the life of me...keep falling out of the box and the rope keeps breaking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you shoot a mime, do you need to use a silencer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha! Yes, I believe you are correct. Shall I mime it for you?

      Delete

If you want to share a Youtube video, just copy and paste the URL in your comment.

Need to add an image of no more than 600 pixels wide? Use Imgur to edit and generate the BBcode you need or you can copy and paste this code [img]image-url-here[/img]